Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Feelings are Allowed

Wow!  My first two posts in two days, this will probably be the exception and not the rule but since everyone is posting about the results of the election.  I figured that I could give my two cents about it.  Not in the "share my vote" way, but in the "share how I am feeling about peoples reactions" way.

It is shocking me that people are not exercising very much patience, tolerance, and respect for each others opinions.  Those who voted for Obama are excited that he won his re-election, and they should be for that was their vote. Those who voted for Romney have many emotions as well, because Obama was not their vote.  Those who did not vote still are likely to have an opinion and they have their feelings as well.

I do not agree with everyone.  I personally find that some peoples reactions are incorrect.  How in the world could they feel that way?  Don't they see this issue/that issue?  What is going through their minds???  But then I remember the comparison to babysitting that I will now make...

Sometimes when the parents leave after I, the babysitter, arrive, the kids have an upsetting moment or meltdown.  While I have the perspective of, "Mom and Dad are leaving but they obviously aren't going for good. I mean seriously, did you see that itty-bitty purse Mom was carrying, she can't go anywhere for more than a few hours with just that small amount of stuff.  And Dad only had his wallet in his back pocket, no bags at all.  They cannot get anywhere for a long time with just that!"  That is something that an adult may see.  However a, let us say 12-month-old, will probably be seeing things much differently.  Perhaps they see the two people that mean the most to them are leaving them alone with a stranger.  Perhaps they see that Mom and Dad are laughing and going to have fun without them and they feel left out.  Perhaps this babysitter has been with them before but always makes their lunch in a strange way, and they cannot imagine having to eat that mess again and wish Mom and Dad would just stay and make it the correct way.  There are many things that could be going through a small child's head, and you have to admit, those are all pretty scary things when they are put into perspective.  We as people who are different must realize that those feelings are completely and totally VALID.  Now I am not saying in the instance of the child that it goes on and on.  You could do something along the lines of saying "I know it's sad that Mom and Dad are going out, but we can have lots of fun while they are gone and they will be here later/when you wake up in the morning."  Then you continue on to do a game, read a story, or something else fun.  Validate, alternative, fun. 

Now apply that type of thinking to those with opposing political views.  With the opposing political views you may not understand why the other person thinks the way they do.  Ask...politely.  After that, talk to them about why you think differently than they do in a respectful way and out of a place of love and not hate.  I promise that although it may not work all of the time, it is more likely to work than an attack of words.

Rant...and second blog post...COMPLETE.


No comments:

Post a Comment